Tuesday 25 May 2010

Conclusion

When I started this blog on Anime I questioned it. The questions were what makes Anime a Genre? What narrative conventions does Anime have? What stylistic conventions does Anime have? Is there sub genres of Anime? And all of these answers have been answered in my previous blogs through research.

I have found out more than I thought about Anime. It is a genre that is built on sub genres. For just about every genre out there, Anime has that genre too and more.

Anime is more than just a Japanese national cinema. It is becoming increasingly more popular around the world with the new generation of Anime like Spirited Away which has gained more fans than ever before.

From what I can see it is becoming vastly more distributed. When I went to the cinema a few moths back I saw a trailer for an Anime. The Anime was a Studio Ghibli production called Ponyo. This just shows how popular it is getting. The cinema was quite significant as it was an Odeon which is a high end cinema.


With games becoming more and more like film there is likely to be more Anime games around. Take the success of Pokemon for instance. Pokemon games are one of the most played on Nintendo Game Boy's and have been around for quite some time. There are a few Anime games such as Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which have game series. There is a game that is not actually based on Anime but is definitely in the style of it. It is called Trauma Center and there are a few of these games both for Nintendo DS and Wii in which you are in the role of a doctor that has to undertake surgery. It has not moving animation and instead has a comic book Manga feel and style. This shows that Anime is moving into the video game area and will continue to progress.


Above - Game play from Trauma Center: Under the knife.

One of the biggest problems I have had while writing these blogs is the lack of research material on Anime. There is a lot of material about certain Anime but not looking at the theory side of it. While it has been hard I have gained a lot of extra knowledge on Anime which I would not of had otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment